Mal...where?

Fighting the Global War on Malicious Code

A Brief Interlude

You all (read: both of you) might be wondering what happened with Malwhere -- no new posts, comments, etc. Or you might not. Either way, I've been away from University on vacation, and have not had nearly as much malware work and interaction to deal with, so I've had less to comment on. Mind you, I'm a blog junkie, but out of my 24 security blogs I track, there's been little of great import...

On the other hand, I've been looking at my future work with the Information Security world, and my current activities/plans/goals include:
  1. Continued work at my University in their Clean Room (student computer troubleshooting/repair)
  2. Continued work on the excellent MalwareRemoval site, and helping in the other forums I'm a trainee helper at (Spyware Warrior, CastleCops, Process Library, TomCoyote)
  3. Updating the MWR Safe and Dangerous P2P Application list I run
  4. Attaining my BS in Computer Science, perhaps with an honors thesis
  5. Heading to Grad School for my MS in Information Security
  6. Making a life out of poking my finger into the eyes of spammers, thieves, and all the script kiddies out there
I'm also looking at following some of the great advice offered in the classic article "How to Become a Hacker", where a hacker is characterized by five mindsets:

1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.
2. No problem should ever have to be solved twice.

3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.

4. Freedom is good.

5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.

The article's recommendations concern everything from learning programming languages (see also the excellent "Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years") to social interaction all the way to learning a musical instrument (I'm not kidding). It is quite practical, and much of it is sound advice. Note that this has nothing to do with crackers, or those who use computers to commit crimes and theft. Mr. Raymond is very clear on this.

Anyways, that's a short introduction to where I'm at -- I'll also post-up the results from my P2P retesting. Should be enlightening. ;)

~ Nexus7

Labels: , , ,

posted by David @ 8:33 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web This Blog

About me

    I'm David From Atlanta, Georgia, United States -- I'm a Computer Science undergrad at Emory University seeking to go into Network Security after grad school. More than that, I am a follower of Christ and a Christian, living the Journey and learning from others who are doing the same. My family and home rest in Fredericksburg, VA.
    My profile

Archives

Previous Posts

Helpful Sites

Favorite Forums

Favorite Blogs

Powered By

Powered by Blogger>